Warning: ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/denverra/public_html/newforum/header.php on line 583
Comments & Rumors - Powered by XMB
Comments & Rumors
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 560 KLZ steals the Reggie McDaniel contract from 850 KOA for peanuts or popcorn or anything edible.
Gladiator
Administrator

Mood: At my signal, unleash hell...

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 08:58 PM
560 KLZ steals the Reggie McDaniel contract from 850 KOA for peanuts or popcorn or anything edible.

View source article at: http://www.rockymountainnews.com[/url]
Quote:
McDANIEL MOVED: Reggie McDaniel, founder of his Everyday People's Entertainment Guide, has left news radio KOA-AM 850 after 10 years and has joined Christian station KLZ-AM 560 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. "I left them, and I hated to do that because I love the people at KOA," McDaniel said. "But I couldn't afford to stay at KOA." In the new spot, McDaniel says he'll add theater reviews to his roster of movie material.

For DRN news and links goto http://drnnews.blogspot.com
RadioDude

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 8-19-2008 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gladiator
Quote:
McDANIEL MOVED: Reggie McDaniel, founder of his Everyday People's Entertainment Guide, has left news radio KOA-AM 850 after 10 years and has joined Christian station KLZ-AM 560 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. "I left them, and I hated to do that because I love the people at KOA," McDaniel said. "But I couldn't afford to stay at KOA." In the new spot, McDaniel says he'll add theater reviews to his roster of movie material.

How sad I mean it how sad that she chose to go to KLZ. IS that like the bottom of the barrel in the radio bussiness? Well I wish her luck on getting people to tune in.

This reply came from Radiodude
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
RadioListenerOnly

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioDude
Quote:
[\How sad I mean it how sad that she chose to go to KLZ. IS that like the bottom of the barrel in the radio bussiness? Well I wish her luck on getting people to tune in.
RadioDude

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioListenerOnly
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioDude
Quote:
[\How sad I mean it how sad that she chose to go to KLZ. IS that like the bottom of the barrel in the radio bussiness? Well I wish her luck on getting people to tune in.

What were u going to say? It didn't come thru.

This reply came from Radiodude
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Boondocker
Administrator

Mood: Go Tigers! Go Redbirds!

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:01 AM

Now, wait a minute!

He says he "couldn't afford to stay at KOA" -- so he goes to work for CRAWFORD???? What's wrong with this statement?
seth

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:38 AM

You don't get it? He's not working for Crawford. He's PAYING for air time. Another black man in this city done total dirt by the radio people in charge.
Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:40 AM

Well, I suppose that's possible. But that would make his "can't afford" statement even more puzzling.
desi cortez

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 07:10 AM

I'm going to take no glee in his demotion..... every asss kissing weasel has their day.
I'd suggest Reggie thought he was one, if not the only "good one" they could find.

He shucked and jived for Rosen and the rest of the Neo-Con rednecks, I refused to, and I sleep better at night than Rastus McDaniel, and I can look myself in the mirror - knowing I believed in my convictions, and they convicted me of my beliefs, this cat sold out for trinkets and beads, and in the end; Lee Larson, who after 8 years at KOA, didn't even say to me - see' ya boy......I wonder if Lee gave Rastus a gold platted Watermelon after 10 years?

Diversity, inclusion, presenting a product which appeals to more than just racist, sexist and elitist angry White guys…. is simply not apart of what Clear Channel does here in Denver.

Wow, think how many times this Uncle Tom kept his mouth closed, didn’t speak out, nor speak the truth about pressing topics…..to please his masters, than they quietly dismiss Buckwheat - he served his purpose, generated enough revenue, they rode the black jackass till he bled out of his nostrils, then said….. See ya’ Boy, you ain’t worth what you want.

What did you expect Rastus McDaniels??
Chriskmusic

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 09:48 AM

Reggie was fun to listen to on KOA. He has a unique charm that very few others possess ... i won't be listening to him on KLZ. The only AM stations I dial in are KOA and KCOL, and then only sporatically at that.

... 'dude ... Reggie is a guy ... ;)

guess you didn't listen to him much LOL

desi cortez

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 11:42 AM

The bottom line; Reggie was either oblivious or ignorant of - those who were laughing, were laughing at him...not with him...
his act is as old as step-n'fetch it..... There are those who get a kick out of a Black man. dressed in a stunning pink and green ensemble who sounds like Fog-horn Legg-horn who supposedly represents Black folks, but yet goes out of his way to avid any and all headlines.....
seth

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 12:23 PM

Thankfully another talentless voice leaves KOA. They have many more to get to, but that dog & pony show that ol Reggie Mac put on was brutal. Hey Reg? Think all black radio, or as a last resort maybe internet radio.
Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desi cortez
The bottom line; Reggie was either oblivious or ignorant of - those who were laughing, were laughing at him...not with him...
his act is as old as step-n'fetch it..... There are those who get a kick out of a Black man. dressed in a stunning pink and green ensemble who sounds like Fog-horn Legg-horn who supposedly represents Black folks, but yet goes out of his way to avid any and all headlines.....

Come to think of it, judging by some of the things spewed by that father-and-son act over on 670, maybe Reggie is a good fit at Crawford after all.
Don Karnage

Mood: "Never...call me...that word."

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 01:10 PM

>>>Well, I suppose that's possible. But that would make his "can't afford" statement even more puzzling.

Yeah, ditto. You don't quit a job that doesn't pay you enough to go to a job which you have to pay to do. Even if he quit mainly to get the 401K, why not do so, and then remain on as a volunteer at KOA? He'd still end up ahead of the game.

DK
Chriskmusic

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:21 PM

ok .. you all are being just a tad offensive here imo ... reggie has been in this market for as long as I can recall ... your comments reek of racial stereotyping

Gladiator
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chriskmusic
ok .. you all are being just a tad offensive here imo ... reggie has been in this market for as long as I can recall ... your comments reek of racial stereotyping

A bite err... bit of background...

Reggie McDaniel was hired by Kris Olinger after she "loved" his calls to 850 KOA's "The Sports Zoo" show... Then hosted by Dave Logan and Scott Hastings... Reggie's special "talent"??? Having et squirrel, dog and cat meats (cat and dog in Korea while in the service)... Reggie had worked at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in the morgue, and has freely admited on-air that he was locked up after trying to kill his superior officer "wid his bar hands"... This life experience qualified Reggie to rate movies and interview Hollywood actors and directors for 850 KOA... His morbid fascination for gory, "blood and guts" horror movies made the show a weekend afternoon favorite for white parents and kiddies, who (both) frequently called his show to verbally pat him on his kind, Uncle Remus, "H"appy head... Also, older Five Points area blacks would occasionally call and "jive for five"...

Desi Cortez, is a loud and proud African American black man, and in spirit, a modern day Mandingo political warrior (not to be confused with the p0rn star "ManDingo")... Desi was the weekend overnight talk show host on 850 KOA that famously "stired the voodoo chili" over the state of race relations in Denver... His outspoken stand on loco err... local "eatin' and meetin KNEE-GROW" leaders, resulted in a failed lawsuit from the local NAACP, and laughter from every redneck in 38 states, Canada and Mexico...

Desi (and most of us) cannot believe how inwithBUSH-league KOA would silence their relevant black talk show hosts Desi Cortez, Dani Newsom, and Reggie Rivers from local Clear Channel stations and yet leave the non sequitur Reggie McDaniel on the air... So, "off" course, they fixed the imbalance... Most likely Olinger and her honchos feared the shame DNC visitors would heap on KOA if they heard what passes for contemporary black radio in COWTOWN...

And RadioDude, somehow thinks Reggie McDaniel is a "SHE", confusing him with Academy Award winning actress, and early KOA radio star (and Reggie relative), Hattie McDaniel...

And neither, Miss Scarlett, "don't know nothing about birthing no babies!"...

http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/images/2007/10/02/hattie_mcdaniel_vivien_leigh.jpg

For DRN news and links goto http://drnnews.blogspot.com
Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 07:47 AM

Chris, I think Gladiator backgrounded it pretty well. Back in the late '30s, the only reason it was permissible for Hattie McDaniel to win a best-supporting-actress Oscar for her role in "Gone With The Wind" was that she played a servant.

And it still seems to go today: the only black voice on KOA had become Reggie McDaniel, whose heavy old-school ebonic delivery and garish clothing evoked a "Stepin Fetchit" and "Amos 'n' Andy" minstrel-show stereotyped past that fit more with what KOA's target audience -- conservative, poorly educated, blue-collar middle-aged white males -- finds permissible for a black man: Keey your eyes lowered, stay deferential and congenial, and KNOW YOUR PLACE.
Gladiator
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 10:44 AM

Actually, Reggie connected more with the Highlands Ranch SUV driving, Park Meadows Mall weekend shopping yuppie... Male and female... His non-threatening "Everyday People's Entertainment Show" evolved at times into a high quality interview show... (When he didn't forget to turn on his tape recorder when he interviewed his Hollywood folks during their layovers at DIA...) In fact, I would like more of the non-political, common man programming on KOA... Or even the higher brow, make you think, "Stumpy the Professor"... But when compared to the balance of KOA's white right ding-a-ling wing focus, Reggie McDaniel was glaring in his soul err... "sole" inclusion...

Almost forgot Uncle Tom err... "The Black Avenger" aka Ken Hamblin, a "bleeding heart Lib" talk show host on KOA, B.R. (Before Rush), later becoming a national rightwing talk show host that the blue collar red neck right of Lester Maddox white man could enjoy as "one of their own kind on the radio"... He would of been great for the Fox News Channel, but he was "retired" before he could ever be allowed to "come to light" in front of a national TV camera spotlight... Sad...

But one thing that Reggie McDaniel's "genteel negro" demeanor bought him at KOA... Kris Olinger could never get him to become a rightwing puppet spouting the Gunny Bob / Mike Rosen party line... Olinger could try, but Reggie would go off on one of his obtuse tangents to confuse and defuse the political angle... Being afraid of the crazy old blackman, she left him pretty much alone to do what he wanted...

Unlike KOA's post-modern beat poet and talk show host Sean or Shawn Rima... Man, who makes me weep at his spouting of GOP propaganda, man, "like it was manna from God's own heaven, man!" (insert How-wierd Dean scream here)... But as Reggie McDaniel might try to spray it: "Hey folks, a mands gots tah doos wads a mands gots to doos.. tah eats!"...

Amen and pass the biscuits and gravy!!!
desi cortez

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 11:32 AM

My father always stressed to me, there's a gigantic difference between folks laughing at you, and folks laughing with you.....

Reggie didn't get that, or, he didn't give a damn, I'd submit it's the latter.

Gladiator, I think you're right, KO and Lee Larson realized that
Reggie's shuck'in & Jiv'in only appeals to the rank and file rednecks, and they knew how McDaniels, being the sole voice of color on the AM airwaves would not play well during the Dem's big pow-wow, might have even turned a light on their exclusion and silencing of certain unwanted voices and opinions, might have made them explain it -in public- as to why a city which will vote for Obama - yet has very few folks on the air who speak to the city's political leanings...... or look like the city's majority population Black and Brown, or for that matter - female.
JJMCKAY

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by seth
Thankfully another talentless voice leaves KOA. They have many more to get to, but that dog & pony show that ol Reggie Mac put on was brutal. Hey Reg? Think all black radio, or as a last resort maybe internet radio.

Thanks Seth. I was kinda hoping that I had talent, but since I am gone and u lumped us altogether. geez. U need to hear my pbp and sportscasts, please...

JJ
Gladiator
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 12:06 PM

With KOA's putting on of the "best of" Rush and Rosen on the weekends and Caldara doing Sunday nights after Bill "who's insane" Cunningham... How long will contrarians Rick Barber and Steve Seidenfeld be "left" on the KOA talkshow world???
JudeBrando

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boondocker
KOA's target audience -- conservative, poorly educated, blue-collar middle-aged white males --

Yeah, riiiiight...
Those ignorant laborers are listening to talk radio. Guess it's always easier for lefties to impugn and mischaracterize others rather than challenge themselves and their own cliches.
The poorly educated and unemployed are on the Dem payroll.
JudeBrando

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
He would of been great for the Fox News Channel...

Would of? Duh.

Would have

Would've.

There, you learned something today, smart guy.
JudeBrando

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Desi Cortez, is a loud and proud African American black man, and in spirit, a modern day Mandingo political warrior...

Puke. What a shameless suck-up.

See, see... he has a black friend.

Quote:
KOA would silence their relevant black talk show hosts Desi Cortez, Dani Newsom, and Reggie Rivers from local Clear Channel stations...

I don't suppose it had anything to do with ratings, huh?
Nah, couldn't be. Must be evil racists.
You all know ratings rule, but you assuage your white guilt..
Unless you want affirmative-action radio welfare with lowered standards?
Boondocker
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 05:22 PM

Actually, no, Jude, it had little to do with ratings. What I'm told by a former Jacor producer is this:

Dani Newsom was ordered to talk about the O.J. Simpson trial instead of politics on the old KTLK, and refused because the conservative talkers had received no such order. Desi's Saturday night KOA shift was replaced with cheaper syndicated talk, which produced nearly the same net revenue. Once transferred to PM drive on KHOW, Reggie Rivers was sabotaged from Day One by the spacing of stop sets (clusters of advertising) and traffic reports deliberately designed to chop up his show so that it had no continuity, no segments longer than five minutes -- very listener-unfriendly. As soon as then-PD Elizabeth Estes Cooper axed him and put a conservative in that timeslot, the stop sets were lengthened and rearranged to give the talker 10-minute segments. Same thing happened to Greg Dobbs in the mid-'90s on KOA.
desi cortez

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 06:24 PM

Seth, Jude.... and your reply is.....?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top